Monday 3 August 2009

Longest Training Swim

I completed our longest training swim yet over at Liquid Leisure early on Saturday morning. Myself, Heath and Jeremy made it over for a 6:30am start and we managed a respectable 1 hour and fifty minutes in the water. We were doing 1k circuits of the lake and I managed 6 in that time. In an hour I'm swimming about 3-4k's which isn't too bad and on par with the other guys in the team.

There weren't too many other people in the lake (say 50-60) all triathletes suited and booted in nice warm and fast wetsuits whilst we were in our trunks. I must say that it was a nice feeling to pick them off going around the laps. Competitor that I am, only two people overtook me so pretty pleasing stuff.

You'd think that doing circuits of a lake on Saturday morning is a pretty boring and monotonous thing to do; and you'd be right. It gives you a lot of time to reflect with your own thoughts and more often that not I keep myself going thinking about the food I'm going to eat when I get out. Before the swim I had spied a hut which was producing cooked food and it wasn't long into the swim before I was fantasising about a bacon sarnie afterwards. I'm talking lightly toasted brown bread, lots of bacon maybe some cheese and a dollop of ketchup to round off. Sounds good right? Well swim finished we got out and warmed in the jacuzzi for five minutes (nice touch eh?) and got changed in readiness for my welle earned breakfast. I ordered a bacon bap (£2.50) paid my money and was handed the biggest disappointment ever. The bap was the cheapest thing out there, you know, one of those baps that are almost yellow and just look totally wrong. I got one bit of bacon with my artifically coloured bap. One! It wasn't even nicely cooked as it was charred black and was obviously the cheapest, fattiest bacon they could get. To make things worse they didn't even have proper Heinz ketchup instead offering up supermarket own brand stuff! I mean, I'm not a snob but you've got to have some standards right?? I was pretty annoyed at this point so went to buy a coffee to try and get warm which was at least good and strong. I'll be taking a packed lunch next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment