Monday 17 August 2009

Beware Of Floating Logs


Training last week went well, with 3 morning pre work sessions in the river for about an hour each and then a longer lake swim on Saturday morning for 2 hours.


The river swimming this week was pretty steady. Not too much going on in the river but did swim very close to a perching heron on the bank which was pretty cool.


Temperature is now very comfortable and up in the high 18's and the stream has died down to normal levels.


On Friday morning we had just got up to Marlow weir and when we turned back to go downstream I decided to put a bit of a spurt on. All was going well until I got a smack square on the nose. I immediatley stopped and looked up to see what on earth was going on, I thought one of the other swimmers had clocked me one! But no, there floating in front of me was a log which I had swam right into. At least it was a log of the wooden kind!


The lake swim on Saturday was good. We covered around 7.25km in just under 2 hours. I did the first 3.75km in about 55 mins which is around the pace that we want to swim the Channel in. I've been trialling my new open water goggles this week (kindly given to me as a birthday present by Jon Keating) which have been excellent. The only problems I am having is when I wear a hat they tend to leak which is a bit of a pain. I tried the goggles under hat method on Saturday but that didn't work as my hat came off after two laps. I had to swim the rest of the session with my hat tucked down my trunks which must have looked quite amusing when I finally exited the water.


This was the week when we had a team meeting (down the Pub - where else!?) and finalised our team name....'The Marlow River Buoys' (geddit??). When Heath originally came up with this idea I thought he meant 'Marlow River Boyz'. Thankfully he didn't as I think we might have to be "packing some heat" in our trunks in order to carry this name off!


Night swim organised for Wednesday of this week which should be good.


Anyway, will leave with a photo of Jez, Heath and I at the lake. I'll leave you to guess who the idiot in the stupidly big goggles is!!


No comments:

Post a Comment