Monday 7 September 2009

It's F-F-Flippin' Freezing!

Back in the river on Sunday morning up at the Flowerpot in Henley and this morning back down in Marlow. Temperature down to about 16.5 now so it is getting even colder still.

Getting in on Sunday morning was not pleasant. I really felt the cold after submersing my head in the water. My sinuses starting hurting and my chest felt like it was about to explode. It took a minute or so to acclimatise and we just tried to keep moving to minimise the cold.

Aim was to go for a good hour and about 10 minutes before the end we stopped to regroup up by the lock upstream from the Flowerpot. After only stopping for a minute I could feel the cold getting to me and had to immediately start swimming again as I was already shivering. I couldn't even feel my legs and arms upon getting going again and pretty much sprinted to the end just so I could get out of the water. It took me a little while to warm up after the swim so am trying to keep the stops to a minimum now.

Heath and I also got bitten/affected by the swimmers itch on Sunday quite badly. No idea why some days are better and worse than others in this respect but it was a very fitful nights sleep yesterday. This is definitely something that I won't be missing about the river!!

This morning was a bit of a dull affair weather wise. Very cold in the water again and apart from the company of a number of swans there was little action. We did another solid hour and will be back in the water on Wednesday.

I'll be spending the time in between doing a sundance!

No comments:

Post a Comment