Sunday 13 September 2009

2nd Aquathlon Result

Entered the 2nd aquathlon today (750m swim and then 5k run) and race prep didn't go quite to plan. The last one I did, I arrived around an hour early so thought that this time I could probably leave home a little later and get a few precious extra minutes in bed.

I probably left at the perfect time but what I didn;t bank on was Junction 5 of the M4 being shut so I had to go a lot further to get there adding about 15 mins to my journey. I arrived at 7:45am with registration shutting at 7:30 and the race starting at 8:00 this is not good preparation.

I convinced them to register me, hurriedly stripped off to get a number felt tipped on my arm and sped over to the transition area to bag a spot to put my towel out with shoes, socks and t-shirt for run. By this point everyone had been briefed and was getting into the lake for the swim. I quickly pulled on my wetsuit smeared some vaseline around my neck grabbed my hat and goggles and waded into the water. A lady next to me kept saying that it was freezing and was visibly shivering! It felt like a bath to me what with all the river swimming and the fact I was wearing a wettie so just smiled and told her to get in!

It felt so strange to be wearing a wetsuit again after swimming for so long without one. The water was warm and it was amazing how buoyant I was in the water which is a really odd sensation.

There was quite a sizeable field of around 50-60 competitors and we got away on time at 8. The first 50-100m was carnage as per normal with swimmers swimming on top of each other, fighting for the same bit of water. I headed off to the far right and found some clear water and felt a lot better without the distractions of swimmers all around me. Swim was ok although I didn't really get into it, perhaps as it was so short.

At the half way point you can roughly get your bearing on where you are and was in the top 10 which wasn't so bad. I finished the swim 3rd last time round so wasn't too chuffed although I was trying to save a bit of energy for my run this time.

Finished the swim in around 10th and ran over to my transition spot whilst trying to release the zip of my suit. I struggled with this for a little while but eventually got there and got the suit of smoothly.

There is an order that people do this in properly which is zip down, free chest, arms both out, roll suit down to ankles and then step out of each leg while standing on suit. This seems to work well and I was definitely quicker than last time. Hat and goggles are left on until the last minute and you must look kind of funny with all the running gear on with goggles and hat.

A fair few people don't bother with socks (for speed I guess) but I do and I find that balancing on one leg when you are knackered after the swim is quite a challenge. Nearly fell over but got socks on, slipped trainers on and finished transition with t-shirt in hand. Wrestled it on in under 60 seconds so all good.

Run went ok, just kept it nice and steady for three laps of the lake. Don't normally like running laps but at least you know exactly how far you have to go to the end. Overtook a few people on the run but also lost a few places as well so lost places here. Had to kick for the final 200m or so as I could feel someone catching me. Managed to hold them off so good finish.

Looking at the splits I was 30 seconds slower on the swim/transition and 35 seconds quicker on the run. I guess 5 seconds quicker overall is ok though would have liked a quicker swim! 15th overall.

Back in river on Tuesday, still waiting for our window to open for the channel swim - doesn't sound like it will be before the 24th.

No comments:

Post a Comment