Sunday 18 July 2010

47 Mile Bike Ride - Sat 10/7/2010

Having realised that I need to up my mileage on the bike given that the challenge is now nearly a month away I set out this morning to do a 40+ mile ride. My previous best had been 30 miles. On the second day of the challenge we are aiming to complete 100 miles of riding so I have been some way short of this target to date.

Things did not get off to the best of starts with a puncture before I had even left home but this gave me the opportunity to practice changing my tire (new bike you see) so I will know what I am doing if I have to do this during the challenge. I am sure the pros can fit a new inner tube in a matter of minutes. It took me 15 but I reckon I will be faster next time.

Once fully inflated I set off from Wycombe into Marlow and me with Peter my riding partner for today then up to Christmas Common before dropping down to Henley and back into Marlow via Frieth. I was feeling great up until about 2 hours in and then started to become a bit more fatigued. I am sure that this was due to not taking anything with me to eat and refuel with and will not make this same mistake again. I also had to eke out my water supply as stupidly only took one bottle. Especially stupid as the weather was hot. Another lesson learned.

The last 3 miles were a pretty slow affair and I was pretty chuffed to get home for a sit down after riding 47 miles! I barely had the energy to stand up in the shower but after scoffing down a load of food to replace the energy I felt a lot better.

Good day for learning lessons!

Stats:

Moving Time: 3 hrs 20 mins
Max Speed - 37mph
Avg Speed - 14mph
Elevation Gain - 2,960 foot
Max Gradient - 9.8%




No comments:

Post a Comment