Saturday 4 July 2009

My First Aquathlon: Verdict


Well I'm just back from completing this and have just devoured a well earned bacon sarnie.


The event was very well organised and I was surprised at how good the venue was down at Liquid Leisure. The lake was rammed with swimmers when I got there at 7 which was great to see.


The aquathlon event consisted of a 750m swim course followed by a 5k run which was 3 laps around the lake.


The swim went well and I was 3rd out of the water out of the 40-50 strong field which I was pretty pleased with. The transition from swim to run went ok and I managed to get my wetsuit off without too much difficulty and get my socks and trainers on and running top without losing too much time but did manage to lose one place during this period.


Starting the run I reckon my pulse was 180+ and I found it difficult to get going especially with it already being so hot. My lungs were burning and it wasn't long before I could feel my legs aching and the first serious triathlete overtook me. I lost about 5-6 further places during the 3 laps which I guess was to be expected given that I am not bult for running and probably finished in around the top 10.


Overall pleased with the performance and it was a great event. I'll look to do another one.


I'm off down the local brewery for a well earned pint!!


No comments:

Post a Comment